Saturday, May 24, 2008

Colorado Storm : Day 21 : Dolores, CO

Have you heard about the storm that blew in this Memorial weekend? If you were anywhere between the Utah flash floods, Colorado snowfall and Kansas tornados chances are that you did.

Riding yesterday from Blanding UT to Dolores CO covered 85 miles in over 11 cold hours. It was the trip's first snow storm and I was looking forward to a meal and shower. At one moment, a bank's thermometer read 40 degrees. I was wearing everything I owned while trying to get the body in rhythm to hold a comfortable tempterature, without sweating too hard. You want to put out just enough work to carry the load. I could feel my body digesting breakfast and my gatorade bottle almost froze. The bags, tent and gear were wrapped in waterproof covers and were dry by the time we got to town. Map 3 of Adventure Cycling - Western Express route is
done. Colorado is beautiful. A resident called it 'Spiritual Overload'.

This is the body that does the work.
This is the mind that says it can.
This is the tool that makes travel.
Life of the body mind and tool at hand.

3 comments:

tara said...

Be a scientist of your own spiritual experience. Your're not biking as a tourist or as a journalist; Your're there as a seeker. So expolre it and enjoy the ride. Thanks for enlightening me on your newest adventure. You know Colorado is my favorite place. Enjoy your time in the rockies...snow and all. xoxo t

Maria Cyza said...

George may your journey be a safe and purposeful one! This is truly amazing to watch, I will keep up with you as you Blog along the way! I wish you the best and God Bless.
Your cousin Maria <3

Paul K-S said...

George, Lance Armstrong's coach told me that one reason Lance won is because he learned to endure difficult conditions, like the cold weather you rode through. In fact, Lance loved it, because he knew that bad weather would discourage his competitors. You, my friend, are riding over these hurdles, panniers and all, and are discovering that you indeed do overcome by perseverance.

Today I read GK Chesterton's What Went Wrong With the World and he reminds us that, "In everything worth having, a point of pain or tedium must be survived, so that pleasure may revive or endure."

Keep enduring. Many of life's gifts lie ahead.

-- Paul (Denver, but temporarily in Cedar City)